Friday, May 25, 2007

Flaunting It


When I was young and I did something wrong, I always tried to avoid the adults in authority. I never flaunted cutting or missing school. Today's kids are so different. Due to the nice weather, I have been leaving school during lunch to go out for walks. There isn't much around my school, just a couple of fast food restaurants. I was sitting in one yesterday when I heard, "Hello Mrs. POd." I turned around and saw one of my former students, who I knew had classes until 12th period (it was only period 6). When I confronted him about being where he was, he calmly answered, "Ms., it's my lunch period". I told him that I didn't care. We don't have an open campus and kids are not allowed to leave the building during their school day. He just shrugged his shoulders and kept on eating. He knew there was nothing I could or would do about seeing him outside. I saw the AP in charge of guidance in the same fast food joint. She "legally" takes her daughter and her daughter's friends for fast food lunches. She didn't say a word to any of the kids in the place. It is bad when kids flaunt their breaking rules. It is understandable when there are no consequences for breaking these rules.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder what Mr. AP Security would have to say about all this. He'd probably give you the wink and the nod and that would be his version of an answer. Since Ms. AP Guidance can take her daughter out for lunch, why should any one else not be allowed the same privilege? Obviously Mr. Principal and his staff are looking the other way while they themselves flaunt school rules, applying them as they see fit. I would just be concerned as to whether or not my students showed up for my class. We end up spitting in the wind questioning the flaunting of the basic rules such as not leaving campus during the school day. Frustrating, isn't it?

NYC Educator said...

I am constantly frustrated by the difference in what we do and what we could do. I do what I can in my classroom, where there are consequences and everyone knows it, but I've pretty much given up on helping out in the rest of the building.

Why should I go to the trouble to bring a kid in, only to have the kid get an insipid, insincere warning, and be sent on his or her merry way?

Anonymous said...

I generally advocate that we should all enforce the rules we have. If most of us do, the remaining few adults in the building should get on board. But if half of us don't, or most of us even (big deal here) I assume it is because the rule has a flaw to it, and I advocate that we drop the rule.

But in this case, where the rule is semi-enforced, but officially ignored at the same time? Just sounds like bad administration. I wouldn't advocate for an open campus, but your administration is winking at the idea.