Sunday, March 20, 2016

Real Teacher vs Imposter


I have been covering college classes for years, mostly for full time professors, those with PhDs.  Some leave detailed lessons, others just pages in a book.  Some just leave exams.  They all have one thing in common.  They are extremely grateful for what I have done, thank me and request I cover again whenever they need coverage.

Mr. J is a fairly new adjunct.  I was asked to cover his class when he had to attend a meeting.  Mr. J sent me the chapter sections he wanted me to teach which was more than adequate.  I started the class the same way I start every class, asking the students if they had an questions on previous work.  Unlike other classes, these students told me they had no idea what was going on.  The teacher had covered the beginning half of chapter two and the beginning half of chapter 3.  He expected me to finish the second chapter which could not be done unless the students knew the first half.  I did some review and got through about half of what he wanted.  As I always do, I sent an e-mail explaining what I had covered.

Instead of the usual appreciation I got a sharp reprimand and a demand to finish what I was told to finish whenever I covered again. While I don't know for sure, I am betting he needed me to teach material he did not understand himself.

This is the difference between someone who can teach and someone who pretends to know how to teach.  I hope his students fill out their teacher evaluation forms professionally to let the college know this guy is masquerading as a teacher.  They deserve better.

No comments: