Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Perceptions


Last night I handed back test papers and watched one of my favorite students face droop.  He said it wasn't the grade (it wasn't that awful although not his usual A), it was what I would now think of him that had him so upset.  I told him I don't judge anyone by a test grade but by the person I perceive them to be.  This young man is warm and outgoing. He usually completes all assignments and is always the last to leave the room. He malingers asking questions and answering questions of fellow students.  Anyone who meets him can see his fine character and that is what matters in the scheme of things.

Too bad teachers evaluations are now being reduced to numbers, numbers that can't show the things that go in to making a good teacher.

(Pictured above is Lincoln Center on a cold dreary day.)

No comments: