Thursday, November 20, 2014

E-mail From A Working Teacher


We have a teacher in the building, a 12 year-old math teacher who is a nephew of one of the men working in the guidance office.   He was hired last year when there was a supposed freeze on teacher hiring!  He had one music class which he did not have a license for.  One of the teachers is working with him in the math department and told me today that he is working on his masters.  We also have Sue in the building.  She is a wonderful person, GREAT teacher...the kids and her co-teachers think she is WONDERFUL, however she is overweight, over 50 and is paid too high.  I guess no one can look beyond all that because she has been an ATR for the past  5 years.  Question:  Why would this building be allowed to hire a newbie that is not tenured or fully certified but have an ATR who is working day to day?  Do I really have  to pay union dues to a union that closes it's eyes on its own members?
I am getting a bad taste in my mouth for the UFT...AFT and every union out there!  HELP!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is not new news! It is happening all over the city! IT STINKS!
What the new members don't realize is that one day it could be them!

Anonymous said...

I am an EWPS (ATR) in Newark working in a school where one teacher in my former department is a first year TFA and another is not fully certified. Thanks for your support!

burntoutteacher said...

An article in yesterday's New York Times about teacher ed departments in college had a sentence about teachers without proper certification are not allowed to teach in New York City schools. Had me laughing out loud. What the public doesn't know....

Anonymous said...

Its totally disgusting. I really don't want to be part of the UFT any longer. I'm sick of Mulgrew and Weingarten saying how rosy things are, when I'm popping Xanax like M&Ms just to get through the day.