Monday, April 07, 2008

You Gotta Have Heart





"Come and join the student-faculty basketball game this week. We need your HEARTY PRESENCE."

I'm sorry to say that this school has turned my heart to stone. When the day ends, I want to run away as far and as fast as I can. It wasn't always like this.

Years ago activities like this was as much a part of my day as teaching was. During student-faculty games, I, along with my female colleagues, donned cheer leader outfits and cheered our team on. We performed n faculty talent shows and felt the school really was part of who we were.

Principal Suit talks about our school as if we were all one big happy family. But, if that is true, we the teachers are Cinderella and he is the wicked step parent. We are put in the school to serve his needs and his needs only. My heart of stone lets nothing seep in. He has not only robbed me of my school fun, he has robbed my students of having fun with a teacher.

I wish I could say that I am just old and burnt out, that there are lots of young teachers putting on their sneaker and suiting up for the game. There are some, but not enough, not nearly enough to continue the kind of environment I started teaching in.






7 comments:

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

And yet you are still there...which says a lot for your dedication and character in the face of adversity.

JUSTICE not "just us" said...

I brought music and joy to my school and now I just work to the clock--no choice. All energies have to be devoted to self-defense and preservation.

Check out wwww.brasilianlatinoclubnyc.org

This is the harsh reality!

Anonymous said...

2 words:

HELL NO!!!

Schoolgal

Anonymous said...

Ho hum......

IMC Guy said...

That really sucks. Do you see yourself trying to transfer to a happier place?

Anonymous said...

imc guy:

If you have been following NYC blogs, you will know that older teachers are no longer valued by this mayor. We are seen as a drain on their budget. We lost the right to transfer in '05 under the worst contract ever. It was only approved because of the pay hike. We also lost the right to grieve letters and seniority rights.

This blogger writes about an ATR in her school. That's a senior teacher who no longer can bump a junior teacher if excessed. So the ATR is a glorified sub with a background that is not respected by his/her new principal. This is why I am against Randi Weingarten, our union president, being in a national spotlight. According to the NYTimes, she is now the darling of conservative groups.

Pissedoffteacher said...

Well said anonymous. at my salary, there is no way I could transfer to another school even if I wanted to.

Besides, this is a good school, it is near my house and parking is good. Those alone make me stay.