Monday, August 03, 2009

More Important Than Stats


Too bad everyone is so hung up on stats. I'm old fashioned and this e-mail means more to me than the grade. I wish people like Obama and Bloomberg would realize that as well.



Hi Mrs. POd!
This is J :)
I hope you are enjoying your summer with your family !
Hmm, I just got your email about R sending her AP score to you.
well, I only got a 2 :( But, I'm still really glad. At least, I will still be ahead in calculus when I learn in college this year.
You've taught me calculus as if it was the easiest thing in the world.
You were really awesome and you were the best teacher out of all my four years of high school.
There aren't a lot of teachers who really cared and encouraged their students as much as you did. :)
I'll really visit you one day :)
Until then, take care!
- J.
I thanked her for her letter, told her that I am glad she is not stressing about the grade and that the grade did not matter to me at all.
I'm sure, come September, or sooner, Mr. AP will have some comments about these grades as well. I'll just have to learn to live with them.

6 comments:

c'รจ montessori said...

It should mean more to you than any grade she got. What's important in what we do is forming partnerships and communities and helping kids grow and learn. By writing you that letter it seems you guys did just that as a team!

Anonymous said...

These emails are gold, aren't they?

Congratulations!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I think that email says it all :)

You raised the level of knowledge for that student and now she has a base to work with and will improve with time. Remember "time"? It's part of the equation that says not all children learn at the same rate. But no one cares about the level of improvement and confidence, just the level of passing grades.

Schoolgal

teachin' said...

I'm with you - that letter is more important than the score. I think most people would agree with that, especially after they read it. Thanks for sharing it.

Suit Lover said...

As my AP World History teacher told us back when I was a sophomore, the course, learning how to deal with a hard topic and heavy workload, etc. is the "cake." Doing well on the AP test is "just the icing on the cake." Now, icing makes the cake taste better, but it tastes perfectly fine without the icing too.

Pissedoffteacher said...

Suit Lover--I've used that same analogy for years.

It is amazing how similar your writing style is to someone else I know.