Friday, August 29, 2014

Return To Work


 I thought I made up my mind to give up working in the college.  There is so much I want to do and working even two nights a week stands in my way.  I didn't want to go back but I was committed, my name was in the catalog and people registered for my class so I decided to stick it out.

Thursday was the first class.  I went in a little early to fill out some paper work and pick up syllabus to distribute.  A young man walked into the office to check on his class.  I looked at my roster and found his name.  He grinned from ear to ear when he heard I was his teacher.  He made my night.

I wish he wasn't so happy to see me.  I wish my first night didn't go so well.  I love being in the classroom and am not sure I am ready to give it up for good.

On another note, I will keep working because here I am evaluated by what I do, not by scores.  The college understands we have no control over who is in our class and whether they work or not.  We teachers are respected and treated like the professionals we are.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

>>The college understands we have no control over who is in our class and whether they work or not. Us teachers are respected and treated like the professionals we are.<<

As it should be.

Anonymous said...

Um, as an English teacher, that would be "We teachers are respected" not "Us teachers..."

Pissedoffteacher said...

Thank you, even this math teacher knew that. It was a mistake I should have caught while proofreading.