Thursday, September 01, 2011

Another Reason I Am Happy

I read the new class the riot act about cell phones and then caught a boy texting.  I got "Sorry, Mam" and he quickly put it away.  Everyone snickered at him for breaking the rule.  (These students usually don't break any rules.)  And, then, my phone rang.

I almost never get calls.  I was away two weeks and had a total of three messages waiting when I got home, so my phone ringing is not usually something I think about.  But, I leave it on because I worry about my dad and want to be in contact with him always.

I apologized to the class, explained my reason for having and answering the call.  They were sweet.  They said I was the teacher and didn't owe them any explanations.  I said I did.  There shouldn't be two sets of rules.  They then decided I was a cool teacher and they were happy to be where they were.

3 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

I'm am loving your new job more and more with each post. :)

zulma said...

Wow, that is so great! Oh yes, happiness has come your way and get ready for more bliss.

I go back to work on Tuesday. Oh well, my happiness will come soon, too.

Mrs. Chili said...

LOVED this story. My cell phone rang while I was teaching my first freshmen writing class of the semester at LU. I explained to them that my husband was away and my two young-teen girls were home alone, and took the call. They laughed at my side of the conversation, which included such gems as "no, I'm sure it wasn't a ghost" and "do you smell anything burning?" (There is something up with our power and things started turning off and on on their own). They were totally cool about my interrupting class to answer the phone, but I promised them that it would be a rare occurrence going forward.