Thursday, July 06, 2006

Bargain Summer School

A friend of mine is teaching summer school English. Her first period and her second period class each has 70 kids in them. Administration came to her room today and told about half of each class that they were not supposed to be attending school now. These students should go home and come back in 3 weeks. It seems, that all they have to do is show up for three weeks and they will be given credit for the whole semester. The kids have always known that to pass in summer school showing up was almost a guarantee of success. Even attendance standards have now been lowered. But hey, now the city is saving money. Seventy in a class for the price of 35. What a bargain! Bloomberg and Klein must feel so proud.

4 comments:

NYC Educator said...

Boy I so regret not teaching summer school. Tomorrow I will doubtless be regretting it all the way to North Carolina.

Pissedoffteacher said...

Three weeks is barely enough time to read one book. I'm also glad that I am not there.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm naive but this seems like fraud to me. What do the parents have to say?

Pissedoffteacher said...

Wish I knew the answer to that. Besides, since when does anyone in government care about what parents think?