Saturday, October 10, 2009

Early Saturday Morning


Saturday morning, 5:30 AM. My mind is racing, thinking of things I will need to point out at next week's talks. I don't want to forget anything so instead of going back to sleep, I am sitting at my computer typing away, completing my lists. I just started my third page. Some of what I have written is so bizarre that even I find it hard to believe.

The amount of time being spent on this nonsense is ridiculous. Some of the wannabe allies fear this will make the enemy target me more. (I don't agree with them.) My husband insists that nothing will change and I am making myself sick for nothing. That, only time will tell.

All I know is that a ridiculous amount of time is being spent on such a stupid issue. I could have let it all drop. No real harm has been done to me. I am in no danger, but that is not who I am.
I end this post with a quote from one of my all time favorite plays:


DON QUIXOTE
It is the mission of each true knight...
His duty... nay, his privilege!
To dream the impossible dream,
To fight the unbeatable foe,
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go;
To right the unrightable wrong.

To love, pure and chaste, from afar,
To try, when your arms are too weary,
To reach the unreachable star!

This is my Quest to follow that star,
No matter how hopeless, no matter how far,
To fight for the right
Without question or pause,
To be willing to march into hell
For a heavenly cause!

And I know, if I'll only be true
To this glorious Quest,
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest.

And the world will be better for this,
That one man, scorned and covered with scars,
Still strove, with his last ounce of courage,
To reach the unreachable stars!

10 comments:

Ricochet said...

(smiling) Ah, but be careful. Whether the rock hits the pitcher or the pitcher hits the stone, it's going to be hard on the pitcher.

Just keep telling yourself that you are awesome (which you are) and teflon.

Pissedoffteacher said...

Thanks, it is already hard but I have gone too far to back down. I can't go on like this.

burntoutteacher said...

I adore you. You fight the good fight for all of us. I know all about the five a.m. typing sessions when all your arguments are cogent and clever and righteous. And then the idiots win anyway.

Good luck! You have more people rooting for you than you know.

Anonymous said...

Just remember the UFT rep does the talking. Stay silent and bring pen and paper so you can write him notes. If you feel you need a recess, you can ask for one and get it.

The talks are usually civil because the principal is on record.
So do not worry. Even if you lose, retaliation is slim.

Schoolgal

Kim said...

Even if you know you won't get a chance to make all your points, I find that it helps me articulate my argument/concerns if I write down EVERYTHING. Helps me organize my thoughts. I still can't believe how much certain upsets at school spill over into my home life. Our school district has done some unbelievable stuff this year that has made teachers' and students' lives miserable. I was so exhausted by school nonsense that I fell asleep at 8:00 last night!

Pissedoffteacher said...

I don't need the UFT rep to talk for me. He is only coming to bear witness and for moral support. There is nothing that can lead to LIF or worse involved in this incident. If I wasn't such a drama queen, the incident would not even be here.

mathman42 said...

Unfortunately I have no idea what the problem is, but as a general rule ( from someone who tends to talk too much ). Shut up a you face. Just listen and more than likely they will make complete asses of themselves, contradict themselves, and prove your point for you. Take notes and don't let anyone RUSH you. I am now on great terms with my Principal and APO, take no shit from them, and barely trust them. It may seem contradictory but is true.

Unknown said...

I don't know what the Principal wants to see you about, but why are you worried? Haven't you told us that you can retire anytime you want? As someone who taught for 28 years in this truely pathetic school system, had many such meetings with more than one Principal,and retired one year ago, I advise you to let this "administrator" know just what is on your mind. And LOUDLY!

Pissedoffteacher said...

He already knows what is on my mind and he has heard it very loudly.

I'm not worried, just stressed about the outcome because I care about what I do and I don't let anyone piss on me and get away with it.

Liberty Rose said...

It is so very sad to me that these things have to cross out paths while we are trying to teach. I had to take a one year leave of absence just to get my bearings and to to refuel. Even in that absence, I am exhausted and in the thick of making things right for my own kids as they suffer through their public school experiences. It is truly overwhelming. You hold to your values and and make them known. Our kids are counting on you.