Sunday, October 18, 2009

Asking Mikey

I just sent the following e-mail to the Education Mayor, no, the Education Executioner. It would be a safe bet to say I won't get an answer.

I am a NYC school teacher at Packemin HS in Queens. If you truly ended social promotion, why am I still finding ninth graders who cannot add 6 and 3 and get the correct answer? Why do the kids still not know their multiplication tables? Why are they clueless when it comes to fractions?

I also teach at a local Community College. Why are some of my students, graduates of NYC high schools, unable to solve a simple algebraic equation?

3 comments:

apple said...

you might get some generic response thanking you for your interest in taking political action. you might even get added to his mailing list, if you're not already on it. i hope he reads it, and feels shitty because he knows the truth.

Ms. Ponzi said...

Little Mighty Mikey FEELS??????

Anonymous said...

Let's see. If your students, like my children, have used the Everyday Math Program, then there's your answer. My kids can add, subtract, multiply, and divide, because of long hours at HOME learning these skills. Any parent who assumes that Everyday math is teaching these skills, will have a rude awakening.