Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tutored But Still Confused


I got some ARIS tutoring today and learned how to find middle school transcripts. You'd think that if they wanted us to use this system, someone would teach all the little ins and outs.

The first thing I did was look up Mervin's record. I was surprised to see passing grades next to almost all his subjects after what he told me yesterday. So, the first thing I did today was confront him. He looked at me like I was hallucinating and told me he didn't pass anything last year. Another kid jumped in and said he didn't pass anything either, although his record shows passing grades. After some discussion the kids conceded that they might have passed the final marking period, but had failed all of the previous ones.

Now I am really confused. Are the kids lying because it is cool to fail? Are they wrong and think they failed when the didn't? Did someone change the grades along the way? (Of course not, that would be so illegal.) All this data stuff is just too complicated and not worth the effort. I only looked because I wanted the kids to know I cared and knew stuff about them. I feel I know less now than before I looked.

3 comments:

apple said...

why aren't more trainings offered on mandated systems? either directly through the school or via the DOE? middle schools are now required to use the electronic report card system that high schools use, with files coming out friday, and so far only an optional 'lunch and learn' has been offered. if it's mandated that we use the new system, shouldn't the training be mandated too?

Curmudgeon said...

Did someone change the grades? Yeah. How else do schools improve?

mathman42 said...

If they didn't pass, the schools might have had to keep them there. Do you really think they wanted to do that ? And if they didn't pass, how would those schools get their " A " rating ?

I got my results today from the citywide acuity tests. Basically 50 % average, about what I could have told them. Of course we hadn't covered at least 1/3 of the material.

So much data, so little time.