Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Blood Donation Day


Our school had their biannual blood drive today. I usually don't like to give at work. They suck out enough of my blood daily but time is tight these days and I was due for another donation, so I figured why not. Besides, I thought it would be good for the kids to see me giving. My seniors were working the drive and they were so nice, especially since I told them I have a tendency to pass out while donating. (Thankfully that did not happen today.) I wanted them to know that it is okay to feel sick, even faint, but the feeling passes. My mom would have died much sooner than she did if not for blood donors and that is the reason I give between 5 and 6 times annually and I encourage others to do the same. My ninth graders were curious about the bandage on my arm. They asked all kinds of questions which I readily answered. They wanted to know why I didn't go home. I explained that a blood donation is no big deal. It takes about twenty minutes and life resumes immediately afterwards. I wanted them to have good feelings about donating and to consider donating when they are old enough.

Well, I have to increase my liquid intake today. I hope beer is on the acceptable beverage list.

No comments: