Thursday, October 01, 2009

Lemonade


Anyone who follows this blog knows that the whole idea of team teaching did not sit well with me, but when life hands me lemons, I try to make lemonade and make the best out of the situation.

As it turned out, I loved the team teaching class. The kids were bright, highly motivated and spirited, a quality that others might abhor but not me. I even enjoyed working with the other teacher. After a rough start (no special education teacher), I was fortunate to be teamed up with one of the best and brightest in the building. This woman is certified in special education and has enough math credits to apply for a math license. Besides that, we have similar personalities and teaching goals and we complemented each other to a tee.

We had the class going great. We split it pretty much 50 - 50, each working with the kids that needed help. We never worried about which kids were on her register and which were on mine. They were all treated the same. We shared marking and planned on sharing teaching. We talked about the class in school, at home and in e-mails. In fact, we felt so confident about this group, we planned to teach them the two term curriculum instead of the four term curriculum and get them through the regents in one year instead of two. It was going to be a challenge but we were both up for it and it would have worked.

I say, it would have worked because I am no longer a part of that team. Due to certain things I won't go into here I had a program change and lost this special group of kids. She is not sure she will be able to gain the same camaraderie with her new partner. Mr.AP insists that the class be taught as a four term, not a two term course and the kids are now tracked out of advanced math forever.

I'm unhappy about the turn of events, not so much for me but for the kids I would have liked to have been able to help. I feel so sad when they pass me in the halls and say "Ms POd, why did you leave us?" When I tell them it wasn't by choice and that I left them in good hands, they roll their eyes and walk away.

The program change is not one made of lemons. The class I picked up is actually a higher level class and the kids are much easier to teach. And, although it does give me a third prep, the extra work won't kill me.

I'll never understand why the change occurred. It benefited one group but hurt another. It's children last, as usual. As for me, I know I don't count for anything. Admins will do whatever they want and we teachers can complain and fight but we cannot win. We are not even worthy of explanations.

1 comment:

Schoolgal said...

This is a major problem in many schools. Classes on grades get cut too, and sometimes new ones open--usually in October. It's chaotic and stems IMO from a lack of good planning when you know the budget. But if you have a teacher in place, I think it is only common courtesy to discuss the action with the teacher and get input. I didn't get any input when my program was taking away. The principal woke up one morning and decided it without talking to me first. She just assumed I would take on the new program, but I didn't even apply for it.

Teachers are part of the professional community as should be treated with respect and the ability to collaborate. You were happy in your position and that should have counted for something.
You cared about the students and that should count for something. While you may have a better group of students, it was still done in an underhanded way. And the students lose out on the one teacher who could have gotten results.

Maybe you shouldn't have written that you liked the class. Originally you wrote you wouldn't be happy. And I hate to say, that may have been the reason you were placed their by your AP. Once he saw you were happy and also fought for a room change, you got the boot. This is not educational planning, it's punishment.