Monday, June 15, 2009

Third Anniversary




I started blogging three years ago as a way to vent my frustrations about the school system, and my school in particular. I never expected anyone to read what I wrote and I still can't believe how many people bother with this stuff. My disagreements with Principal Suit and with the school system in general, were easier to take knowing that I was not alone in my suffering. I don't wish administrators like (or worse than) Suit on others, but there is some truth in the statement "misery loves company."

Over time, I've expanded this blog to include my NYC adventures, my travels and more importantly some personal feelings about my life in general. The warm support I received when my mom was dying helped me cope with all I was going through at the time.

My computer skills have grown from this blog. I still have a long way to go, but I've learned lots about using different texts, pictures and videos. I feel very computer accomplished for a person of my advanced age.

My favorite part of this blog is the friendships I have made through it. If it wasn't for NYCEducator I would never have started blogging in the first place. I've met, and come to love Norm, a retired educator and a union activist. I hope to join his ranks when I retire, should I ever decide to do so. I feel 17 is a good friend and I respect and value Henry, Moriah , Julia, Leonie Hamison (I have met all of them) and look forward to meeting up with Rick in Calgary this summer. I would one day love to meet Chaz, Proof of Life, Californiateacherguy, Floraine, Jonathon, Mr. Talk, The Bus Driver and many of the other bloggers I converse with on a daily basis. In addition, I would love to meet Schoolgal, my biggest defender. Mrs. Tsouris, another favorite of mine, is already a close friend. (Apologies to anyone I forgot to mention.)

Many of the bloggers around have celebrated anniversaries. I've been too caught up in my daily dribble to even notice that my big day passed on June 10th. Here is the link to my very first post.

I hope I have written things that have helped others as much as writing them and reading what others have written has helped me.

I would like to thank everybody who reads and comments on this blog. I always wanted to be a writer and this blog has been a dream come true for me. When I see the numbers on the counter I finally learned how to install grow bigger and bigger, I feel like I have succeeded in that area. Thanks again for reading and for always being there for me.

9 comments:

Noel said...

Congratulations on your anniversary. I think I've been reading your blog just about that long. I appreciate your insights, and especially since we've moved from NYC, your views give me a more personalized sense of what's going on there than I can get from other sources. So, congratulations, even if you won't let me read your other blog. ;-)

Noel

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your third anniversary!! I have seen the changes in your blog and look forward to many more.

Your honesty (both positive and negative) about your personal life and relationship with your family confirms to me that you are also honest in your posts about what goes on in your school. And that is why I have no problem defending what you write.

Your stories need to be told.

Schoolgal

ChiTown Girl said...

Happy Anniversary!! And, hey, this was a hell of a lot cheaper than three years of therapy, wasn't it? ;-)

Ms. Tsouris said...

You are able to convey what I consider the spirit and creativity that is (or should be) at the heart of teaching itself, no matter what the subject area is. That is what makes you a very unique blogger. A great teacher is always a great communicator, and you have all of those qualities translated on to paper for all to read and learn from. I am privileged to read your and others' blogs and come away with some kind of knowledge gained, or thoughts about an issue or incident. I hope to see you blog for a long time. It, like us, evolves. In the meantime, have an ice cold one to celebrate!! Congratulations!

17 (really 15) more years said...

Congratulations PO'd! You are one of the people who inspired me to start blogging in the first place. Your candor, wit, and love for teaching shine through in your posts. You have helped me more than you know to focus on what really matters - the kids.

I consider you a friend as well- Happy Anniversary, and long may you reign!! <3

Suit Lover said...

Congrats on your anniversary. Keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I never miss your blog. Except yesterday. But today I'm all caught up. And of course, I sincerely apologize for getting you into this awful habit in the first place.

Marcy Webb said...

Congratulations for achieving this important milestone, and for your writings. :)

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I would be honored to meet you in person, Pissed Off!