Sunday, June 14, 2009

Still Useless After All These Years



Hi ATR,

I'm sorry I wasn't able to get back to you sooner. I know you are frustrated and mad. I can only imagine what you are going through. Every school is going through major budget cuts and most are excessing. I have one school with 24 excesses and another with 19. Regardless, the issue - your issue, is that we can't force a principal to hire anyone. Our contract clearly states that the DOE can place anyone but they have chosen not to. If you let me know of other school''s that you have applied to that have a vacancy and I can see about possibly getting the principal to get you an interview. Meanwhile we are trying to get both the XXX and the DOE centrally to force the principals to hire people in situations like yours (teaching a full program without being hired). I know it doesn't help your immediate situation at XX JHS, but since we were successful at convincing the DOE to the hiring freeze because of the ATR situation so this is the best opportunity ATR's and others have had for getting positions. In the meantime you will continue to report to XX JHS now and through September and beyond until you get something in writing stating it otherwise.

As far as a grievance is concerned, you have a right to file any grievance you wish. Since we don't have anything in the contract saying that they have to "hire" anyone in particular for a position I don't believe we will be successful. As for Article 2, it is often hard to prove. Can we "prove" that they didn't hire you because of age or union activity? If we have any comments that were made, documents, or other pieces of evidence about it then we have a stronger case. Otherwise, I don't believe we will win that kind of grievance down the line. Although again, you have a right to file a grievance if you wish. I'm going to try to go by this week to talk to the Principal and your chapter leader.

we'll talk soon,

UFT Rep

No comments: