Monday, June 22, 2009

Bloomberg--YOU SUCK!!!!!!


I had this brilliant idea to help the kids that failed the Math B regents in January. It was brilliant because the kids were psyched to do it and it would not cost the school one penny. And, I know it would have worked. I'm really good at teaching kids how to take a test and I know I could have taught them math along the way. Unfortunately the plan was never carried out. Packemin HS is so overcrowded the period that would have worked for me and the kids had NO AVAILABLE ROOMS. Thanks Bloomberg. Keep building your little high schools and your charter schools. Don't even think twice about the majority of the kids that attend their neighborhood schools and attend schools like Packemin because we are so much better than their neighborhood schools.

I know the smaller group would have worked. I got 15 kids to come in today to work on Math B. I know, I'm insane. I'm not even teaching Math B this term. (So, Bloomberg and Obama, if these kids do well, I would not qualify for any merit pay because I am not a teacher of record for them.) I had a lot of these kids last year and feel responsible for them. For many, all they need is this one regents to get that little sticker on their diploma. The kids told me today they accomplished more today than they could have ever done on their own and in the big classes.

So, Mr. Education Mayor, do something about the education of the students of NYC. It is time to put your money where your mouth is. Smaller classes and schools with the populations they are built for work. You would never have sent your children to a school like ours. Why should our children have to settle for so much less of an education?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the title.

I have a better story. My admin refused to allow me to tutor kids on my own time during lunch hours because she did not want kids leaving the lunchroom.

Schoolgal

17 (really 15) more years said...

A few of my students are going to start Packemin HS in the fall. I am scared for them, going from our teeny tiny baby school - they have no clue what they are in for. In spite of our craziness, we really do look out for the kids, and we pride ourselves on not letting any of them slip through the cracks. What are they in for in HS?

Pissedoffteacher said...

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride!