Sunday, March 29, 2009

A New York City Bargain

This sign was on a 6 train I rode this weekend.


Personally, I believe the sign is so right and the value we are getting for our money now a days is just out of sight.


I spent the day roaming around Manhattan and decided to go home to my dad's house in the Bronx. I haven't ridden the number 6 for a long time and wanted to relive my elevator train days. Unfortunately, the memory of the trips did not equal the trip I took.


I got on the 6 only to discover that the train was only going to 138 St. I got off to wait for the next one. The next one came and had the same destination so I took it to 125th St where I figured I could either get another 6 or change for the 5 and then take a bus ride that would be slightly longer.


No other 6 came so I hopped on the 5, thrilled to be on the real train of my youth. I looked forward to gazing out the window as the train sailed through the south Bronx. I was thrilled to remember the stops in order, Prospect, Intervale, Simson and then Jackson, the stops before the numbers began. I was eager to see what was the same and what was different.


The first half of the ride was just as expected. There were a few new buildings along the way and the train stations all have pretty stain glass windows in parts. However, the train did not run all the way to my stop and we were all forced to get off at 180th St and hop on shuttle buses for the rest of the journey. The trip that should have taken me 45 minutes now took close to two hours.


So now you can see the value I have gotten for my $2.00 ride. I got to ride on three trains and two buses. I got to travel over an hour extra and all for the same fare.


With value like this, the MTA should be charging $5.00 a ride, not the measly $2.50 they are planning to charge.

2 comments:

Highly Effective King Clovis said...

Saturday morning I had to take the train from Brooklyn to Randalls Island for a rugby match. No biggie, just hop on the Q. Oh wait, local stops in Manhattan. Ok, get off at Atlantic Ave, I need to take the 4 anyway. Problem there. 4 arrives on the 2 line. No signs anywhere. So I have to hoof it to get to the other side before the train doors close, which requires going down a flight of stairs and up another flight.

Was no problem for me, for I am somewhat athletic, but what about elderly people? Oh well, they have nothing better to do anyway right?

Can I say how much I hate trains with the long benches? It seems they never have an available spot. I prefer the older trains. At the end of the day I pray that the older Q train arrives at Canal St. instead of the newer one.

Maybe the MTA should create a system similar to London. As in, if you are travelling through certain areas, the price increases. Of course, that would also require that you swipe your card twice (which they do in London).

Allison Davis said...

Great post, it's been years since I took the train in NYC. I agree too, they need to create an enhanced system to make the process more efficient.