Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Join The Revolution


You say you want a revolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world
You tell me that it's evolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world

These Beatles lyrics have been swimming in my brain all day because I WANT A REVOLUTION in education. I am so sick of it all. I want destruction of the system as it now stands. I want to start over, giving kids an education that means something, an education that will help them become outstanding citizens and be able to provide for themselves and their families.

But when you talk about destruction
Don't you know that you can count me out
Don't you know it's gonna be all right
all right, all right
This destruction, I want a part of. I want to do away with forcing kids to take meaningless classes. If a kid tells me one more time that line segments in a circle add up to 180 degrees, I am going to jump out the window. If I look at another IEP goal that says Jenny will graduate and go to college, I will hang myself. If I hear one more teacher griping about having to maintain the same standards that existed when they were in high school ten years ago, I might just slug them. If just once more I am forced to sit through a meeting talking about Johnny's goal of having an organized notebook, well, I don't know what I will do. It seems to me that if Johnny hasn't learned this by now he might never be able to learn this.


You say you got a real solution
Well, you know
We'd all love to see the plan

I want a plan that does not involve boot camps, credit recovery and other crap. No more of this dribble just to get these kids out.

You ask me for a contribution
Well, you know
We're doing what we can

We are not doing what we can. We are doing what is easy. It is much easier to go along with the status quo than to fight it. No one wants a real plan because a real plan costs money. A real plan might be politically incorrect. Mayor Money Bags and his bunch of stooges and President Change think teachers are the problem. Yes, there are bad teachers, but not all. Money is not going to make me or anyone else better at what we do.

But when you want money
for people with minds that hate

Maybe the minds don't hate, but they certainly don't love. The current education system is set up to doom future generations to failure. The elitist running the system want it that way. They want lots of ignorant people around to do their bidding. The Mark Weprin's of the world are looking to extend mayoral control of the city's schools are taking our tax money and pissing it away. They are allowing people like Evil Moskowitz to keep opening her charter schools, schools running at the expense of all others. Another elitist, Merryl Tisch, a woman who has absolutely no public school experience was just chosen chancellor of education for NYS. She might not hate, but her ignorance of public school life is more than enough to do us in.

All I can tell is brother you have to wait
Don't you know it's gonna be all right
all right, all right
Ah

Brother, it is not going to be all right. We need a revolution and we need it now!

14 comments:

Chaz said...

Until classroom teachers have input in academic curriculum, nothing will change.

How many times do you hear of education conferences with no classroom teacher being invited. All the time!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant Stuff here! You are the Educational Change Poet. -ES

Anonymous said...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Pissedoffteacher said...

ES--I want to do away with credit recovery and boot camp. I thought you were in favor of those things.

I hope you are not saying the brilliant part is when I call for my own destruction.

Anonymous said...

It's scary that Education is now being run by those who don't know a Sh*t about education.

Now I can tell you geometry is taught in elementary school and my students knew circles, angles, line segments, etc. in 5th grade. Yet it always seems the problem is retention. If we started teaching fewer concepts with more time and meaning instead of so many different concepts in less than a week, I think it would make a world of difference.

Schoolgal

Anonymous said...

brilliant in the creativity of the post. Even though we don't agree on everything I appreciated the Right Brain part of the things you do. Whole Brain thinkers are special people.

Pissedoffteacher said...

Now you have me googling right brain, left brain. Math is my field but from what I am reading, my right does seem to function better than my left.

And, I just got home from work. I'm so addicted to this stupid computer I didn't even take my coat off yet. I'm not even sure I even have a brain.

Anonymous said...

http://www.funderstanding.com/content/right-brain-vs-left-brain

Anonymous said...

you are left brain by nature... you use your right when you blog. very interesting ... -ES

Pissedoffteacher said...

I am not so sure about any of this left brain, right brain stuff. I have been trying a bunch of online quizzes to see what I am (maybe that says something about me in itself). Two said I was left brained, two said I was right brained and one came out 50-50.

Interesting how you can form an opinion about me when you don't even know me. What does this say about your brain?

Anonymous said...

you put a good deal of yourself out here on the web. Although I can't say that I know you... I can read the way you think.

most math people are left brained. the thinking process of solving equations are for the most part are left brained. However, the creative process if all right brained.

Pissedoffteacher said...

You have no idea about the way I think!

Anonymous said...

ummmmmmmm..... everything you write in this blog documents how you think. doesn't it?

Pissedoffteacher said...

There is more to me than what I write in this blog.

And, there is another blog that portrays a different side of me. That one is only open to a select few.