Sunday, February 07, 2010

Hey Bloomberg, Your Stats Mean Nothing


I forgot to post this last week, sorry.

The Integrated Algebra regents was given in January to repeaters and new admits to N.Y.S. Passing this exam is a graduation requirement. In fact it is the only math exam the state requires. This could be done by getting 30 points out of the 87 given or to be more exact, 34% of the exam right. The exam consists of 30 multiple choice questions so guessing correctly on just half of them means a student is ready to graduate.

I know Bloomberg does not control the regents exams so I am not blaming him entirely for the sorry state of education but maybe he should stop bragging about his improved graduation statistics since we all know they mean nothing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to tell my ninth grader son what you just posted. I want him to learn the stuff.
Unbelievable.

jwg said...

Whatever happened to the possible points adding up to 100, and you had to get a certain number of those points to pass? (In my school it was 75, but that was in the early 60s)The number was constant, nobody curved, and you knew where you stood.