Sunday, February 28, 2010

Easy Mark?

My first thought, as I saw him pushing his wheel chair along Jericho Turnpike was "Oh no, not him again. He is always looking for a hand out and this time he's not getting one." And then, I looked again and thought "He can barely walk. He's pushing that rickety old chair through the snow so he can get some extra money for his meds or his next meal."

I don't know which thought was correct. All I know is the dollar I handed him is a dollar I will not miss and might have made this day a little easier for him. I'm glad I gave it to him and if he thinks I am an easy mark whenever he sees me, his thinking is on target.

I couldn't live with myself if there was something I could have done to help another human and didn't do it.

2 comments:

Schoolgal said...

Someone once took all my Christmas gifts that I left at a parking garage in FH. They were all from Bath and Body Works and has some wonderful items. I was angry but then thought I hope it's put to good use by someone who couldn't afford to buy gifts. There are too many other more important things on this planet to worry about.

Anonymous said...

I have a regular as well. Every Thursday and Sunday at Waldbaums.....he gets me for a $10 or $20. Gotta love Steve! He says he will marry me too!