Tuesday, February 23, 2010

E-mail From A Parent


Joe has not been an easy child to deal with. Thank goodness he has parents who care and are doing their best to help him and to help me in dealing with him. We've been e-mailing each other. Yesterday I got the following e-mail from mom.

Thank you Ms. Pod,

He came home and told me that he apologized. I was happy to hear that, because I wanted to see if he said he was sorry on his own. I did not coax him. It hurts me to see him disrespect any teacher and it really hurts me that he disrespected you more than once. I hope this is the end of his bad behavior. I will call the school regarding his anger problem, which is not a major problem in his life, since he is a pretty mellow kid. The problem is that when he does expose his anger it seems like he loses control. That is a problem.

I will try to help him study for the exam this Friday. Joe does not always want me to help him with his studying, but I will try. Thanks so much for your patience in dealing with him. Thank you for your interest in helping him succeed and thank you for contacting me.

F.Y.I., Joe's sister dropped out in the 9th grade(she is 23 now) and he knows this. I am trying to help him through the 9th grade because I feel if he makes it through he will most likely stay in school for the remaining years. I see the same frustration in him as I saw in her and that scares me. Thanks for seeing the potential in Joe.

And, this letter is one of the things that keeps me going.
(Picture from the Atlanta airport which is celebrating African art)

No comments: