Saturday, May 23, 2009

Fort Totten

I love playing tourist in my own city, especially in my own back yard.

A real treasure is only ten minutes from my house and unfortunately, it took me over 30 years to find it.

We love walking on the side of the Cross Island Parkway and since it was such a beautiful day, we decided to do just that. When we parked, I noticed Fort Totten to the left and said we should take a look. My husband hesitated. He's not the most adventurous but I can be quite persuading and we did.

Fort Totten was built to protect the shores of NY but was never actually fired on by the enemy. The water battery and the fort is a national historic site. A friendly park ranger let us explore on our own and then answered all our questions. (There are tours on the weekend but we were not around for them.)











Fallout sign from the 50's.
Water tunnel








The views from the area are magnificient. Here are the officers houses (no longer in use as you can see from the shape they are in.) The view is spectacular.
<>



I guess soldiers on foot are different from regular pedestrians.























Officer's Club--now the Bayside Historical Society

Great sign--I know I have seen it before but I couldn't resist taking a picture anyways.


Throggs Neck Bridge


And what day would be complete without the ice cream truck, which got my business.


No comments: