Thursday, January 08, 2009

Ms Bitch


"Ms. POd, can I talk to you for a few minutes" yelled Cari as I walked towards the cafeteria today. I said "Of course. I am never too busy to talk to one of my favorite students."


Cari was upset. It seems that she told one of her teachers, Ms. Bitch, that she plans to go to the local community college next year and the teacher started yelling at her. Ms. Bitch said that school was for losers and people who couldn't do anything. Ms. Bitch told Cari that unless she went to a four year college she was wasting her time.


Cari always had great grades until she got to high school. Here, she really had to produce and the work was difficult for her. Although she is graduating on time with a regents diploma, she does not feel ready to face college. She wants two years to improve her skills and get ready for the big time.


I hated to do this but I did it anyways. I told Cari that Ms. Bitch has no clue as to what she is talking about. I teach at that college and know that it is a fine school. While it is easy to get in, it is not easy to graduate. But, in contrast to the larger college, this is a place that will help her through. She will get guidance and tutoring and possibly even scholarship money. Knowing Cari as well as I do, I know she is making the right decision.


I don't know what is wrong with teachers like Ms Bitch. Why do they have to put kids down? Why do they have to make nasty comments about things they know nothing about? I'm guessing that Cari does not have the grades to get into a four year college. Why make Cari feel so bad about herself?

6 comments:

Schoolgal said...

Cari has her head on straight.
I too started at a community college because I worked during the day. The education I received there was top notch.

I have friends who are now sending their kids to community college first because it's all they can afford. They can then transfer to any 4 year college. In fact more students are opting for community college over 4 year colleges because of the costs.

I hope Bitch is also a reader of this blog!! Idiot!!!!!

Kim Hughey said...

That teacher has no clue what she is talking about. I often encourage my students to attend our local community college for two years before going off to the university.

Does that teacher realize that most universities now cost around $20,000 per year to attend? How many of our students are really ready for the responsibilities of a 4 year school?

Many end up dropping out because they were not mature enough to handle the experience. Unfortunately, they leave without the necessary skills to find decent employment and a debt of $20,000.

NYC Educator said...

It's terrible to stereotype all the kids who choose community college like that. Also, it's ignorant. The kid will transfer at some point, and get a degree from whatever four-year school she chooses. In fact, community colleges exist just to give kids like yours a chance like this.

Some teachers think they're smart just because they're teachers. Frequently, others don't share that opinion.

Pissed Off Mom said...

My son is currently in a community college. It was the best fit for him. His brother is in a nice private university. Personally I really don't see the difference. some people should really remove their heads out of their arses.

Pissed Off Mom said...

oops and I forgot to add, the community college child is in love with his school

ChiTown Girl said...

What a crappy-ass thing to do to a child!! What the hell is wrong with her?!

Just to put it out there, I started at our local community college (literally the day after my high school graduation!) and proceeded to receive two associate degrees (I did two programs simultaneously) then went on to a university for my bachelor degree in elementary ed. I have since finished my masters, and I'm about a 1/4 of the way through a second masters program, all while being a single mother and working 2 jobs.

I would love for Ms. Bitch to tell me I'm a loser! What a BITCH, indeed!

As for Cari, I see great things in her future :) She's lucky to have you to support her and care about her.