Sunday, January 18, 2009

I'm Just A Girl Who Can't Say No

Ms. M didn't send in my NYU recommendation. She promised she would do it but
I just got an e-mail from the college saying it is missing. I don't want to
bother her again. She already wrote me some. Would you please do it? I know it
is short notice but I really need it?

The above is the story I heard from one of my calculus students Friday. When I heard the teacher involved was Ms. M, I said, "Ask her again. I'm sure it was either an oversight or it got lost in the mail." My student did not want to bother her. It seems Ms. M deleted the original recommendation from her computer and my student did not want to ask her to rewrite it.

What I would like to know is why these kids think it is okay for me to write it? I just counted. I wrote 31 individual letters as recommendations. Thirty one students. Most students are applying to four or five schools. You don't have to be a math teacher to do the math and figure out the amount of work this has been. Why am I always the one who can't say no!

No comments: