Friday, December 12, 2008

Waiting For The Storm


We had a senior assembly today during period 3. I was my normal POd self and pissed that I had to go. All senior English and history teachers were invited. Math teachers with seniors did not get personal invitations. We are the step children of the school. I was also pissed that I knew nothing about the assembly until the day before it was scheduled to occur.

I would like to apologize to all the administrators involved who I cursed under my breath. If I paid attention at the faculty conference I would have known about the assembly. (Too many of those conferences with Suit makes me turn deaf when any administrator is talking.) If I read the weekly bulletins (which is not going to happen until I get access to a computer at school) I also might have known about the assembly.

Lightning might strike me for writing this, but the assembly was great. No one made stupid jokes or comments. No one was insulted. Hula got the kids excited about being there. The kids were well behaved. They listened to everyone who spoke. All the admins, the college counselors and the senior advisers made their points and stopped talking. The meeting ended on time.

Things are far from perfect at Packemin HS. The drive-by observations still have everyone on edge. Suit left a big mess that has to be cleaned up. Just like the dog that has been abused, teachers like me will not trust a new administrator too quickly. But, for the moment things are good. I'll keep my umbrella ready for the clouds to burst but for now I am enjoying the sunny weather.

1 comment:

17 (really 15) more years said...

The drive-by observations occur in my school ALL the time- it is a rare day when administration is not running through the halls with their clipboards in hand. You feel like at any moment, somebody is coming in to nail you.

It just makes for such an unpleasant working environment.