Thursday, December 18, 2008

Good Bye Pre Calc Class


As I write this post I am proctoring my college final. They are all busy working away on a test that consists of 34 short answer questions and 9 long questions out of which they choose 6. I think it is fair. I tried to take a few questions from each section and not put emphasis on any one topic. The course covered a lot of material. Although I think I kept to a pretty good pace, I didn't even come close to finishing the curriculum. The good thing is that unlike the high school, I don't have to finish. I am trusted. The chapter chair respects my teaching ability. In fact, she is waiting for me to retire from my day job so I can teach extra hours here. (As an adjunct I can only teach 9 hours a week.)

I just saw my observation report from this semester. It was glowing. It always amazes me that a teacher that does no right in the high school administrator's eyes does no wrong in the eyes of the college observer. I often wish they would both would observe the exact same lesson at the exact same time. The reports would be exact opposites.

My students are starting to leave. Even the ones that did not make it are stopping to say goodbye. I looked down and found a package with a bottle of wine and a beautiful card. The woman who left it hugged me goodbye and put it down on the sly so I could not even say thanks. I will have to look up her address so I can thank her properly. One girl who did not pass was upset because I am teaching a different course next semester and she will have to take this one over with someone else.

It is with happiness and sorrow that I say goodbye to this group. I know they are well prepared to take calculus next term, if they so choose. I will miss them. I will not miss running here two nights a week. Tomorrow, it is beer and veggie burger special at my favorite bar to celebrate a month of freedom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Collegial observations, right? Not evaluative?

At least that's what I get. Every once in a while there is a useful piece of criticism, but mostly they seem taken with what a teacher (not professor, but a teacher) can manage with engagement.