Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Jury Duty and Other Stuff


I'm on jury duty. I don't want to be here. I don't want to be here so bad that I would pick a PD day instead. I really shouldn't complain. It is only the second time in my long life that I have had to serve. For years I used child care as an excuse. Even when my son was 16, I claimed he needed his mommy around to get excused. I couldn't believe that it worked,

The last time I was called was six years ago. It was in criminal court. Some stupid woman brought her baby. The court officer yelled "Don't you know there are rapists and murderers in this building. It is not safe for a baby." I thought, "Hell, it's not safe for me either. I've got to get out." I got put on a panel--an African American male was accused of trying to murder his wife. The lawyers questioning perspective jurors made him sound guilty. His legal aid lawyer did nothing. I felt he was convicted before the trial even began. When the judge asked, "Can you make a fair decision?" I answered "NO". I calmly told him that in this country Black men do not always get fair trials. I had just seen the movie Hurricane and was still upset about the way that man had been treated by the law. The judge screamed at me and threw me out. I don't mind getting yelled at if the end result is what I want.

Now I am back. It's civil court this time, which is a whole lot better. They even have computers here. I didn't know that so I brought along my own lap top. We'll probably be sitting here all day, but I don't think we'll have to come back Friday. My husband drove me here this morning. He's nuts about not being late and nothing I said could convince him that it did not matter. People walked in up to two hours late with no penalties. The court officer asked if anyone had a summons that did not start on November 16. You would not believe how many people got up and told him that theirs started on that day. So much for jurors with common sense. I handed in my paper work, went for coffee and a bagel and am back being a good citizen.

I'm sure my classes won't miss me too much. One of my AP calculus classes had a test scheduled for today. I left it with a friend to give them and I told them they would take it with our without me. They are good kids. I just spoke to the friend. He said all went well. The other AP class will get to work on their Thanksgiving take-home test. I give them tons of take-home tests because it forces them to work together and study more. I give plenty of in class stuff to separate the real students from the wooses. My Math B classes will probably be partying. They've been wild all week so I guess we can all use a day apart.

My son got home yesterday, my daughter will be coming in tomorrow and my sister got in last night from Texas to spend two weeks with my dad. Between Thanksgiving, the time he and my mom usually went to Florida and the approach of what would have been his 59th anniversary, it will be a hard time. I'm glad she is around to ease his burden. We are all spending the holiday together at my house tomorrow. My son is upset because I only bought a turkey breast this year instead of an entire turkey. Hopefully when he tastes it and all his other favorite stuff, he will be happy. If not,tough. I could have bought him a tofurkey (which I would have preferred.)

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Don't overeat. Enjoy your school free holiday.

3 comments:

proofoflife said...

You and your lovely family have a great time. By the way , when I went fo Jury Duty the judge asked all the potential jurors if they had been effected by violence in their lives. I was amazed , as the judge went around polling us many of the jurors were saying they had never been affected by violence. When he came to me I wasn't sure what I was expected to say. I said, "Yes, I have been affected by violence. I read the newspapers everyday , and see the state of our nation at war, yes I am effected!"He said, " you can go." I hope they don't call me for another six years either.Happy Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

Eh, its too bad you had jury duty. I came to visit but you weren't in Packemin HS. That's ok though. There's always next time.

--Pink Floyd

BCC said...

Wow. Welching on jury duty is so incredibly lame. People who consider themselves intelligent have a responsibility as citizens to serve jury duty. I know if I were on trial - or if someone else were on trial for a crime that was committed against me - I'm exactly the sort of person I'd want on my jury. It's a sacred duty as a citizen, just as important as - if not more than - voting.

I'm surprised at you, I thought you were a better person than that. What a lazy attitude. This causes me to re-evaluate my opinion of you in an unfortunate direction: maybe what they say about old teachers is true after all - how else to explain such a desire to coast along and leave the real work to others.

Shame on you.