Sunday, November 04, 2007

Election Day Is Coming



I'm really looking forward to Tuesday. It will be the annual Election Day staff development. I will receive lots of developing so that my lessons will be better and my students will perform on a higher level. I'm looking forward to the well prepared trainers that will be instructing us. I look forward to sitting in the auditorium and listening to Principal Suit's lecture on all we are doing wrong and what we must do to improve our school's grade, as the Quality Review team will be returning next week.


One of the biggest surprises for that day will be the time schedule we work. Since we are on a twelve period day, with first period starting at 7:15 AM and twelfth ending after 5:00 PM, everyone will have their hours changed. I guess it is good that we don't know what those hours will be yet. That way, we can surprise the babysitters who watch our children by changing their hours at the last minute too. We can make the doctors we have appointments with wait for us. We can be late to second jobs.


One of the only good things about staff development day is that it would give the staff an opportunity to meet with colleagues teaching the same prep. We could discuss what we are teaching and plan together for a uniform final. I wrote my AP a note, asking for such time. I know other teachers spoke to him about this. As yet, we have not received an answer. I guess that will be another surprise for the day.


I don't know what the contract says about changing a teacher's time schedule without notice, but I am willing to bet there is some provision for notification in it. My day won't be changed much (I have a pretty much middle of the day schedule) so I really can't complain. I don't understand how the other teachers who are affected don't open their mouths and say something. Administrators don't care much about contracts anyways. Unless, of course, the contract clause suits their needs.


Hopefully the days activities will be available tomorrow. If they look too awful, I am going to take the day to take care of the awful headache I am anticipating. That, is one of the benefits of having over 100 days in a sick bank.

10 comments:

17 (really 15) more years said...

Teachers amaze me- I have no clue what the hell they are so afraid of. I kicked up a fuss because my PD (out of the building thank goodness) ends at 3:30 instead of the usual 3:05 on a PD day. I made a 4 o'clock dental appt, so I informed my AP that they took too long to inform me (I was told Thursday morning) and I would be leaving at my usual time. She didn't say a word (not that I would have cared if she had).

I was prepared to take the day as well if I was going to be stuck in my school listening to shit. This training actually has a purpose, I just hope it doesn't suck.

proofoflife said...

I guess we are all on the same thinking wave. I have no idea what to expect on Tuesday either! I guess the surprise factor is a tactic that many Suits are using! Then again, I will probably be one of those people told to do nine million things at the last minute. One teacher actually suggested that I remind the principal to address the hand washing problem. Why doesn't she remind the principal? Teachers are afraid of their own shadows!

Anonymous said...

over 100 days in the bank.
Wow! You must be in great health.
Why would you want to give up 50% of those days when you retire?

Anonymous said...

I need to schedule my days off better....I actually had to take one last week since I wasn't feeling well. That sure interfered with my plan, to have the staff development flu. Now let's see....day 1 next year should be PSAT day, day 2 Election Day staff development, day 3....we'll have to see what to do about that!!

Pissedoffteacher said...

I know schoolgal--I am one of those fools that almost never takes off. I had surgery a few years ago and was out for 5 weeks and I used up all my days when my kids were born. I guess I would be over 200 if not for those things.

17 (really 15) more years said...

I drag myself in too no matter what- although I'm learning to indulge myself once in awhile now. I worked for 6 weeks with my arm in a cast (my right arm no less) because I didn't want to lose too many days. I keep saving up as I hear the words "terminal leave" in my head for someday.

JUSTICE not "just us" said...

Hummm if you get that headache please don't be seen at a public forum. The New York Post will report of another fat cat teacher at maximum salary taking advantage of the system. Some day I predict a GPS monitoring device will be placed on all teachers and the UFT will endorse it!

Anonymous said...

Good luck! These days are often a waste of time that could have in stead been invested in something useful...

Anonymous said...

times like these are when i take out the laptop and play a serious game of freecell. the irony of me playing freecell when i'm in professional captivity wouldn't elude you rite?

Pissedoffteacher said...

Joes, maybe you could have watched "Free Willie"