Thursday, November 01, 2007

Forty Year Old Baby


I have become friendly with a 40 year old woman in my night class. Toby is repeating the class. I gave her an absent grade last term because there was no way she would pass the final. This way, she could repeat the course without having to pay for it. I was hoping the second time would be the charm and she could do it. The course is not overly difficult and my exams don't vary much from term to term.

Toby's personal life was a mess last semester. She was constantly moving from one major disaster in her life to the next. This term started out better. She seems happy. We talk after class. She has some medical problems but has a good doctor and seems to have that problem under control. She has a job she likes. She has a guy who makes her happy. So, what is her problem? She is having unprotected sex with him. She says it is okay, since she knows him since high school. I asked her if they were each other's firsts? Of course the answer to that was no. I tried to convince her that she was now having sex with everyone else he had had sex with. After ten minutes, she agreed I was right and told me they would both get tested. We also discussed pregnancy. She felt that since she had never gotten pregnant in the past, she was safe from this too. Smartness comes with age? Not in this case.

Last week Toby told me she wants to have a baby with this guy. Since she has a job with no great future, I told her she better get a ring first. She answered that they weren't ready for marriage. I told her a baby was a bigger responsibility and even if they didn't want a big ceremony, they should at least go to a judge and have a legal ceremony. Toby told me her family was religious and they would never go for that. I then said religious people won't go for the baby before the wedding either. Again, she had to agree I was right.

I've had similar conversations with my high school kids for years. I'm always careful about what I say to them, they are minors and I don't want to get in trouble. I never would have imagined having the same conversation with an adult. I guess the saying "age is only a number" is true. In this case, forty is more like fourteen. I hope things work out for her. She is sweet, but, she needs a reality check. She needs to grow up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My head is still shaking.

Mrs. T said...

AAAAAAAAgh!
She sounds like my sister in law (who is 41). Very sweet, but lord does she need to grow up. Yikes!

X said...

She's lucky to have you.