Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Slapped Again


So Suit slapped me in the face again. Only this time I opened my big mouth in public and vented so loud, word had to get back to him.

Our school does something called "Faces of ...." at graduation every year. In the past, teachers who had been students walked across the stage and said a few words along with the students of the many different countries represented by our multi- cultural population. This year the procession began and ended with two teachers who had won awards. Guess who was not one of the teachers? You got it, ME!!!!!!! I was livid. I complained to the AP whose name was on the program as being in charge of that part of graduation. She apologized but said she had nothing to do with it. Suit had picked the faces! I loudly told her that the kids were also surprised that I wasn't on the stage.

Suit, I know you don't read this blog but I almost wish you would. I feel like writing to the PTA because by denying me the right to announce my award you are demeaning their award. I know you don't care about me but I know you care about them and the image you portray to the public. I've decided not to retire in the near future. I'm going to stay around and try to slap you back whenever I can.

4 comments:

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

If you work until you're 75, you'll certainly outlast Suit--and get in a lot of slapping along the way!

(Suit's "omission" was obviously a slap in the face, and you are right to be outraged.)

ms. whatsit said...

Suit is simply being cruel and petty every time he impedes the opportunity to recognize you and the honor bestowed upon you by the students. Does he treat anyone else that way? Perhaps you have an ally. . .

I'd let the PTA know your frustration too. Unfortunately, the school year is over and any way he can think to make up for the disregard would more likely be a whisper than a shout of praise.

NYC Educator said...

Well, the kids appreciate you. That's a lot more gratifying than being appreciated by the administration, which doubtless places a premium on loyalty, whether or not it serves the interests of the kids.

I once saw one of the very worst teachers I'd ever encountered named "teacher of the year" because she spent all her extra time typing for the administration. Yet she couldn't control a dozen kids if her life depended on it.

You know what's important.

On the Edge said...

PO'd, I'm including you in a little game Can you play?