Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Award Ceremony




The Award Ceremony was tonight. It was even better than I imagined it would be. Everyone was so happy that I won. No one said that I got it because I suck up to administration! I'm sure Principal Suit was not happy about me being the winner, but since it came from the PTA, there was nothing he could do about it. I heard I was nominated last year, but Suit quickly told the parents I wasn't the kind of teacher he wanted to win. This year the parents outsmarted him. A few of my AP kids canvassed my other classes and got all the kids to write letters nominating me. When my name was mentioned and all the letters were read, he had no choice but to go along with their choice. I got to read the letters tonight. They were great. The words on the plaque came from one of the letter. I was also presented with two dozen pink roses.

To make the evening complete, we picked up my dad and brought him to the ceremony. I know he was so proud. It was the first time I saw him smile in months. We took him out for dinner first and made it a really special evening. At times, I knew he was thinking about my mom, because I saw that look on his face, but he got over it. Maybe I will be able to convince him to come over more often now that he has done it once. He still drives but, he is a smart 83 year old. He knows that his vision is not good at night so he limits his driving to day time.

My kids wanted to come to the ceremony too. Unfortunately they both live 4 hours away and since this was a work night, they couldn't be here. My fantastic daughter sent me the other bouquet of flowers to celebrate my award. She has grown into a thoughtful, wonderful adult. I am so proud of her. I spoke to both of my kids after the ceremony. They were both so happy for me and wished they could have been there too. I just got off the phone with a friend of mine. She said I sounded good tonight. Well, I should. I had a great night!

3 comments:

On the Edge said...

I'm glad you had a wonderful time, and I am especially happy for you that your dad was able to smile again. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!

It's amazing how admins do not recognize their best teachers if they are also the most "union".

Pissed Off Mom said...

I wanted to congratulate you on your award. I am glad the parents outsmarted your Principal, sounds that even if he can not appreciate all your hard work at least someone does.