Sunday, April 22, 2007

Conversation With A Ginger Kid


Me: Jay, I have to talk to you. Please don't think I am a racist, but this is important.

Jay: Sure Ms. POd....

Me: Ginger kids have a harder time in schools and life sometimes than other kids. I'm not saying that it is a deserved reputation, but it is a fact. If a dean walked in this room while you were playing with your cell phone and two non Ginger kids were doing the same thing, I am willing to bet you would be the one to get in trouble.

Jay: (looking down) You are probably right.

Me: And Jay, I know you are a great kid, a kid who would never do anything wrong but, that hat and thing-a-ma-jig on your head makes you look criminal. If I wasn't a high school teacher and I saw you on the subway, I would probably run to the next car. It's not fair, but you Ginger kids have to be careful. You are a very special young man--bright with lots of potential. Right now you are doing nothing. Your charm and good looks won't last forever. Please don't think I am saying this because I don't like Ginger kids.

Jay: I know that you like us....

Me: I want to see you in the papers later on as a fine, successful adult, not as a statistic.

Jay: Thanks Ms. POd. I'm going to think about this. And I hope your mom is going to be doing better.

4 comments:

ms. whatsit said...

What is a ginger kid?

Anonymous said...

"This disease is called Ginger-vitis and it occurs because ginger kids have no souls"

And now I've outted myself as a South Park fan.

Episode #136

Pissedoffteacher said...

Ginger kids are discriminated against for without cause. In this case they are a euphenism for the race of kid I was talking too--but you know that!

IMC Guy said...

Unfortunately, this is true, in and out of school. I hope this student really took what you said to heart so he can do well.

I hope your mom's doing better.