Saturday, June 26, 2010

Happy Retirement Ms. E

Ballet has never been one of my interests but, when a teaching buddy asked me to go to Swan Lake with her, I said yes. She was all excited. We were going to see Swan Lake at the Metropolitan Opera House and the production was by the American Ballet Company. Note, I said she was all excited. I was going because I genuinely like her and I wanted to spend the evening with her. Boy, was I wrong not to be excited. I have never seen anything like this before, although I do remember seeing Swan Lake many years ago. The Opera House itself is magnificent. The crystal chandeliers that go up when the curtain opens is a sight to behold. And, the dancing speaks for itself. How anyone can move the way these dancers do is beyond me. It amazes me when they stand still, in a pose, while the main dancers perform.

The evening came as a special celebration. My friend is retiring this year so Monday will be our last full day together. She is bright, funny and quite outrageous. She says and does things no one else would ever do. Over the years, the kids have complained about her mean disposition. I've told them again and again, "Ms. E is like an M & M, hard on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside. Her bark is mean but her heart is soft and warm and she goes above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to helping her students succeed." Ms. E isn't always easy to be around. When she is pissed off, look out. No one is safe. I know, I've been at the short end of her stick many times. I've learned to back off and disappear until she calms down. She always does. The school system is losing a great teacher and I am losing a favorite colleague but I am not losing a friend. Ms. E, I know you read this blog and I want to say, the following to you openly:

Congrats, happiness, enjoy the beginning of your new stress free life. You worked hard for it and deserve all the good things life has to offer. I will miss seeing you every day but I know you are only a phone call away.


More pictures on facebook.

1 comment:

Ms. Havisham said...

Ms. E., with all her rough edges, was a really wonderful teacher who was willing to work with her needier students to get through the more difficult topics. Her retirement is a loss for those who would have been her students.I wish her a very happy retirement!