Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Fireworks Within


Schools know kids need help. Academic intervention is the buzz expression going around at the moment. But, what is academic intervention without the necessary services to remedy the problems? How often can parents be called and told their child is failing when we have no solutions to end the failing? How often can a parent be told their child is not doing homework when they are at their wits' end trying to get them to do homework? How often can two teachers discuss Johnny's inability to read without having a way to teach him to read?

I'm sick of data and I am sick of talking about problems. I want real academic intervention. I want smaller classes. I want counseling. I want individual instruction for the kids that need it. I want a place to sit and work with problem students. I also want an end to all war, to stop world hunger and to clean up the oil in the Gulf. I want everyone to stop dumping on teachers and blaming us for all that ails the school system. None of these things are going to happen. Talk is cheap. Talk does not solve problems.

1 comment:

Panda said...

Our movement towards inclusion is really starting to harm some students. I struggle with a group of 14 year nines (13/14 year olds) who work at the level expected of year sixes (10/11 year olds). IF we hadn't had our exclusions over-ruled by the governers (not lightly undertaken, but we're talking sexual incidents towards other students, violence directed at students and staff) then there would only be eight students in there and I might have a chance of getting them to the stage where they are functionally numerate.

There's also the problem that a lot of the parents of our "problem students" either don't care about their education (no point, it's just free childcare) or are intimidated by their own child. Very scary situation and I'm sick of the buck being passed back and forth. I just want every student to be numerate and (hopefully) enjoy being in maths lessons with me!

Only going to get worse under the new coalition government though ...