Thursday, April 10, 2008

What Exactly Does Anonymous Mean?


Today the kids were given the school survey to fill out. This year, the survey was packed in envelopes with names and numbers on the front. The kids were instructed to fill out their surveys and return them to the envelope. They were told to rip off the label so the survey would be anonymous.

One kid noticed the number on the survey was the same number next to his name. He refused to fill out the survey. A number of other kidsalso refused as record of the number took away his anonymity. The school swore up and down that it had no record of these numbers but the computerized print out in every envelope said something else.

A girl complained that in her gym class the teacher read all the questions to the kids and encouraged them to fill out the surveys in a certain way. This girl was admonished for putting down negative responses. The teacher, who did not know her, asked her name. When the young lady refused to give it, the teacher got nasty and told her she had to give her name to any teacher who asked. Luckily, this little girl had some spunk and held her ground. I wonder how many others didn't and filled out their surveys the way the principal wanted them to. And, I wonder how many filled it out the way he wanted to skew the results.

The kids in my classes resented spending class time on this nonsense. The AP exam is less than a month away and they need all the practice they can get. My math B kids have an exam next week, and they felt the same way. One kid told me that the teacher in charge of his survey spent an entire period doing it. The only wasted class time is the time they choose to waste themselves.

6 comments:

17 (really 15) more years said...

Even my 8th graders picked up on the numbered surveys- but I told them that they would not be penalized for being honest in their responses. They were worried, but I convinced them that they didn't need to be.

I was besides myself having to waste class time on those damn things, but you can be sure it wasn't a full period.

Anonymous said...

I think your gym teacher was way out of line. I would write an anonymous note to your CC about it.
(keep your name off this one!!)

Schoolgal

Chaz said...

Let's see it was anonymous but numbered. Seems like a tracking program to me.

I'm not paranoid but I do question why is it numbered?

Anonymous said...

The same thing happened in my school, only the survey was for the teachers. The administration made a big deal about honest in responses, reiterated the confidentiality of the survey, etc, but then numbered the surveys. Do they think teachers are stupid and wouldn't notice? Not only did I fill it out honestly, I put my name on it.

tamasha said...

I love the last sentence of this post!

proofoflife said...

People should report this to Kleins and Blooms accountability office. Ooops forgot, they already know! Their days are numbered and they want to go out saying "look how much we have improved the system!"