Friday, April 04, 2008

Parent Teacher Afternoon

No SurveysParent teacher afternoon. Instead of giving us an extra few minutes for lunch, we were scheduled for a faculty conference. Suddenly, the meeting was changed to departmental meetings. Why? To give us time to fill out the teacher survey and to show us how to get the kids to fill out their surveys. It seems that our children don't know how to interpret the questions and as a result, they sometimes give the school unsatisfactory ratings. We are supposed to explain to them that "every teacher knowing them" only means that "their teachers should know them." In a school as large as the one I work in, it is impossible for every teacher to know every child and this should be taken into account while filling out the forms. We were supposed to be happy to be able to fill out the survey on school time. I would have been happier to have a longer lunch. That alone, might have improved a couple of my answers (should I decide to fill out the survey. I marked papers during the meeting)

Before we filled out our survey, one teacher read a letter from our chapter leader telling us to fill out the form honestly. The letter also said the administration wanted the surveys done positively so they could reap a nice bonus at the end of the year. I stood up and read my letter about school security and reminded the staff that school safety was a big part of learning.

I, for one, will encourage my students to fill out the forms honestly and interpret the questions any way they see fit. A true market research survey does not interpret the questions for the participants.

We also discussed the math boot camp, but that is another whole posting, probably coming tomorrow.

The meeting broke and went down to the cafeteria for a lunch provided by the PTA. We were all allowed to take one little piece of a hero and some salad. By the time I got there, the vegetarian sandwich and most of the salad was gone. I shouldn't complain. I want to lose 5 pounds so they were just helping me along.

I would have left, but I saw some friends and decided I would hang out with them. The only seat near them was a little corner of a bench. I'm so tired of not having a spot of my own, I just walked away. Most days I am better off alone.

I'm tired, I'm depressed and I am ready to chuck it all. And, then, I am given the biggest hug by the parent of a kid that failed my class. The parent knows I am doing my best to help their child pass and she appreciate me for who I am, my big mouth and all my faults. And, then, I remind myself why I am doing what I am doing.

4 comments:

17 (really 15) more years said...

They pulled the same crap on us on PTC afternoon- G-d forbid we might get a few extra minutes for lunch. For the record, administration usually provides lunch for us on half days, so that we don't leave the building and come back late. I bring my own lunch and eat in my room.

We were handed a form yesterday specifically asking how many parent, student and yes, teacher surveys could be attached to each homeroom. My kids wanted a no-uniform day so badly (that was the carrot that was dangled), so I made sure everything was collected for them- not for administration. I didn't influence them in any way, shape or form.

Anonymous said...

And, again, thank you. By publicly taking ownership of the issue, you may have given others the courage to speak.

Jonathan

Anonymous said...

I just finished filling mine out. :( At least it's done.

I'm sorry things are crappy for you too. But yay fr parents who remind you why you do what you do. :)

You've been tagged... http://vertical-chaos.blogspot.com/2008/04/oh-helen-why-p.html Feel free to skip if you want. :)

*hugs*

JUSTICE not "just us" said...

In my neck of the woods they are just one step short of telling us what to bubble in. Hummm sounds like the way they may proctor tests!