Tuesday, April 01, 2008

No Security Needed


Steam is pouring out my ears.

I'm so angry, I feel as if I could assault an administrator.

One of the sweetest boys in my ninth period class today was brutally assaulted as he left his trailer and headed into mine. Some kid swung something at his face and broke his nose. He was covered in blood. He did not know the boy who assaulted him.

There was no security around. We have eight trailer classes. On the average of 30 students per class, that is 480 kids in this area every period.

I want to hurt an administrator because the administrator is the one saying there is no money for security outside. He says we don't need it. We have cameras now. Cameras did a lot to keep this kid from getting hurt.

A kid walked into my ninth period class today to hand his friend french fries. I made him leave (and he did) but there was no security to prevent this from happening.

Last year a man walked in from off the street to use the trailer bathroom. I filed a police report and complained about the lack of security. Still, nothing is being done.

I've had it. Tomorrow I am writing to the principal, the AP in charge of security, the parents association and all the newspapers. I don't want to anyone else to get hurt.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Something tells me your principal doesn't file the appropriate incident reports because that can hurt his report-card grade. And I have to wonder if your UFT rep also files reports. Let's hope your media reports help.

Are you allowed to lock your trailer when you are inside it??

Schoolgal

Schoolgal

Pissedoffteacher said...

I can't get the key to work in the lock.

Anonymous said...

Maybe he could smear some ranch dressing on it to cover the blood.

17 (really 15) more years said...

The kid should file a lawsuit- THAT would get the Suitmeister's attention.

Pissedoffteacher said...

The kid is an immigrant with limited English. His parents probably don't even speak English. I find these families are sometimes afraid to make waves. My letter to administration is going out tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

10B. Ask the CL to report the Safety Plan violation to the principal. Don't give him more than a day to file and give you a copy. If he doesn't file it, file it yourself, CC the CL and James and Sterling.

You're tenured in a big, established school. There's nothing to protect by remaining silent.

Jonathan

Anonymous said...

You also need to CYA by putting in a request for the lock to be repaired.
Schoolgal

Under Assault said...

What you report really distresses me.
I feel like Amnesty International when they write letters of support to detainees in overseas prisons. Hang in there.

Sean Duffie said...

My alma mater had a problem with graduates, having had nothing prosperous happen in their lives, returning and initiating fights with the freshmen off one end of the school.

Security got beefed up, but it didn't help. They ended up putting the responsibility in the hands of the rec center receptionist whose door is the one the graduates were using. How quaint.

I hope this situation gets recognized, maybe then the trailer situation can finally get resolved.

At least, we can hope.

JUSTICE not "just us" said...

ohh well at least he wasn't shot three times like my student!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for shattering the silence. You are not alone in your concerns. I have worked in the system too, and will place your post on my blog as well. It time we stopped ignoring our children's heart cry before the next generation of school shooters comes on board.

Adelaide Zindler, FP (Fearless Parent)
www.FearlessParenting.com

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dr Pezz said...

The principal must understand that cameras are on reactively used since they do nothing to prevent rule-breaking or criminal behavior; they just help identify and prove crimes. Too many people think cameras prevent behavior, and they may be deterrents, but they do not prevent incidents.