Monday, April 14, 2008

Response to Monday's Greeting

I was furious when I got home and decided to let my AP know exactly what I thought so I sent him the following e-mail:


Dear [ AP's first name],

I really resent your saying that I am wrong in complaining about the lack of trailer security. This has been a problem for years and it has been building since the man walked in off the street last year to use the bathroom.
We have nearly 500 kids walking between the trailer and the building between classes and close to 250 in the trailers at all times. No matter what you say, we are vulnerable to outside disturbances.

I did not know that we were in business to keep our friends in security happy. We are here to help the children and part of helping them is keeping them safe. For years, I have spoken to everyone about security and nothing has been done.

You can remove me from the trailer, but that won't solve the problem. I am not afraid to be out there for myself. I don't have problems with my classes. It is the kids that are in danger. The kids smoking behind the dumpsters don't effect my classroom but they do set a tone for the school. There is also a problem with outsiders taking a short cut through the yard.

The school has to find the money to provide security outside. That is something that is not optional anymore. I'm sorry if this offends you, but it can't be helped. I will not sit by idly and wait until someone is seriously injured.

[First Name]


And, believe it or not, I think I won! He sent me back the following which, for him, is an apology:

Dear Ms. POd:

The idea of complaining does not sit well with me. Life is too short to complain or listen to complaints. Like I said, if there is an issue I can do something about, I will. You have some legitimate concerns and it is not being addressed properly.

I want to let you know that a security booth was ordered 6 months ago. Granted, that was not early enough; however, it was ordered. I believe it was ordered after the last incident.

The Administration has been trying to get the custodial staff to replace the lock in [ ] and they are still waiting for a part. Everything is contracted and you are a union member and you should know that. I went to the Principal later today and informed him about the situation again. He got on the phone and directed the custodians to install a pad lock on it while we wait for the part.

I will speak to the head security and see if they have made plans for the trailers. I will let you know when I find out more.

If you do not see a lock tomorrow morning please let me know. I will be more than happy to go down to the custodian's office to make sure they install a lock.

I learned not to complain when I was 12 years old because my grandma told me when you complain, you wipe out all the good things you do and all people remember is that you complained.

My advice to you is that you get all the facts before you start to complain. I really have no problems when you say things about our department because either it is an over sight on my part or you did not have all the information. But I have to try to maintain a good working relationship with other departments; particularly the security department.

Have a good evening and I hope you feel better.

Math AP

PS. Please remember that, very much like you, I just work here and we happen to be colleagues. You might learn to take my approach - take it easy! You can't control what you can't control. You can only manage it.


The PS from a man with no self control and no patience for anyone, from a man that thinks he can control the world.

I feel good now. I feel vindicated.

Of course, I could not let him get the last word in so I replied with this:

Just to let you know--I did not say anything bad about security. I said there is no security, which Terence admits is true.

I too, try to maintain a good relationship with security.

2 comments:

17 (really 15) more years said...

Print it, frame it, and put one copy in your safe deposit box. I consider that a victory.

Anonymous said...

I still don't get this "complaint" remark. Was he saying you complain w/o having enough information??

You should tell him to don't complain, but simply voice valid and professional concerns that need to be addressed.