Thursday, May 22, 2014

My Job, As I See It


A young teacher at the college told me he continually stresses over finding ways to get his students to care, to do the work, to study.  I told him I don't.

My job, the way I see it, is to present the material in a way that is understandable and engaging.  I have to design assignments that reinforce what was done in class.  I have to create exams that accurately test what was taught.  I have to return them in a timely fashion and clear up anything my students do not understand.   I have to answer questions during and after class and to respond to e-mails from my students.  Of course I must have complete understanding of the things I teach and be prepared.

I am tired to telling them to put their phones away or that they can't afford another absence.  I don't know how to convince them to do homework when showing them the test questions they got wrong came straight from these assignments.  I'm sick of explaining why I won't stop teaching until 8:25, the time the class ends.

I teach in a junior college where many of my students are dealing with crisis in their personal lives.  Many have full time jobs and families.  Still, they made a commitment to attend school and must commit to doing what is necessary to succeed.  If they can't find the motivation within themselves I can not and will not give it to them.  I'm sorry for their personal problems, the divorce, the sick parent, the rent being due, but I can't do more than lend a sympathetic ear.

I strive to be the best teacher possible but maybe I am just getting old and jaded.  Probably best to leave teaching to the young.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the reason I retired. It was time for the younger teachers to do the massive amount of work required to teach students.