Sunday, March 17, 2013

Knowing His Students

 

I met up with the professor I covered for last week to give him homework I collected.  I also wanted to tell him about the "winner" who wanted to sign his name and then leave.  Of course I wouldn't let him so he had a friend sign in for him.  He came back 30 minutes later and signed himself in.  While reviewing attendance I noticed two names, almost identical except for the spelling of the first name (one letter difference).  I commented that the teacher must find this confusing when the "winner" announced both names were his and his friend had signed him in.  I told him I would let the professor know about the forgery.  He came up with a lame excuse and I just told him to hold it for the next class.

Anyway, back to my conversation with the professor.  He wasn't at all surprised at what I had told him.  He said "winner" is not even close to passing and has horrendous attendance.  I then told him about the rest of the class, which was wonderful.  The kids participated, were engaged and quite responsive.  He said he knew which students I was referring to.  He said it was the same ones who were responsive all the time.

The college knows this man is a good teacher.  They know he won't reach them all.  Some just don't want to be reached.  They won't judge him because some kids refuse to participate or work.  They will judge him on his own merits and that is the way it should be.

No comments: