Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Human Connection

 




The evening supervisor and I teach the same pre-calculus class.  Monday night we were comparing notes and were relieved to see we were at the exact same spot in the curriculum.  He told me he doesn't like to go to fast, because he wants his class to "like him."  He quickly explained that by liking, he didn't mean be his friend.  He wanted them to understand the material and be comfortable asking questions.  He said what I always believed, a happy student learns better.

I was so glad I had this conversation.  He validated my philosophy about teaching.  No technology, no gimmicks,  just a human connection.

1 comment:

NYC Educator said...

I like that philosophy. Pretty sure I subscribe to it, too, though I never thought of putting it quite like that.