Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Stubborness Trumps Intelligence


It's hot, really hot.  A sane person would stay indoors or go out in a nice air conditioned car.  Sanity is something I have never been accused of having.  So, ignoring the 90+ degree temperature, I decided to take the 3 mile walk (in each direction) to deliver a package to a friend working at the community college.  I figured the park would be a nice short cut, not realizing I would get lost and make the walk longer.  It was a pretty walk and I enjoyed seeing parts I have never been to until I realized I was the only one on the path.  I started to worry about rabid raccoons jumping out of the bushes or being dragged behind the trees, beaten and left for dead and I didn't relax until I saw houses in the near distance.

I made it to my destination and unloaded my heavy burden.  I turned down the offer of a ride home (didn't want to wait the hour) and began the trek home, this time on city streets.  I almost broke down twice and called my husband to pick me up but my stubbornness took precedence over my intelligence and I walked the entire way home.

I know the day will come when I am no longer able to walk.  I will be able to look back and remember the walks I took, not the ones I should have taken.

2 comments:

Profesora de español said...

"I know the day will come when I am no longer able to walk. I will be able to look back and remember the walks I took, not the ones I should have taken."

So very true. Keep doing what you enjoy!

Anonymous said...

It was pretty hot today, but I could be just as stubborn as you. Eh, I wouldn't feel too bad. I would have done the same thing and walked and probably with a water bottle and hat.