I just got this e-mail from a boy a certain individual would not let take trigonometry and pre-calculus together. This boy studied trig on his own last summer, got a 98 on the regents and had a "friend from above" get him into the BC class.Hi!!! Ms.POd. I got a 5!!! on my BC calculus test. I still cannot believe it since I messed up many questions.
You always believed in me. Thank you so much :D . I probably can take multi variable this fall, which I greatly looking forward to.
I have been reflecting on my career and trying to figure out exactly what I did right over the years. I'm not that smart, I'm not organized and I don't always have the best classroom management. And then, I started reading over the comments the kids wrote in the book I gave them during my last few days.
I am posting some of the words and expressions here, not to brag but to give advice to new teachers. Words from the kids, not from the administration. Words, not added value data.
1. Encouraging me even though I didn't do so good in your class
5. Believed in me
6. Never give up on me
11. Making a hard class into a fun one and an easier one
12. There was never a moment you made me feel lower than anyone
13. You pushed me to pay attention
14. You gave me confidence
15. Even when we didn't believe in ourselves you fought hard to make us believe.
16. You never gave up
And my favorite:
17. You are like the teachers you see in movies. When the kids give up and you still have faith.