Saturday, July 30, 2011

Family

It is a sad commentary on life when it takes a funeral to bring families together, but it is wonderful how families do support each other and come together for anything where support is needed.

My favorite aunt died this week.  She had Alzheimer's and has been out of it for quite a while.  We talked about going to visit (she lived in Florida) but somehow never got around to making the trip.  We've had the same talk with the cousins, but nothing ever materialized.  Yesterday we were all together to say goodbye to this terrific lady.  We reminisced and met new cousins known previously from encounters when they were babies.

The day was bitter sweet.  We drove a short distance to Paramus and then Nyak but traffic was unreal and we spent over five hours in the car.  Saying goodbye is hard, but being with my aunts, uncles and cousins was great.  My aunt used to love having a house full of people.  I'm sure she was smiling at us all and wishing she had cooked some goodies for us to be enjoying.

The picture above was taken from the rooftop patio of my cousin's Nyak house.  He's been after us for a while to come visit and now I see why.

7 comments:

Ricochet said...

I am sorry for your loss. I am glad you are enjoying your family.

Anonymous said...

Losing someone you love is never easy. However, families coming together during a time of bereavement helps soothe feelings of sadness.

Ms. Tsouris said...

I'm so sorry for your loss,but being reunited with cousins who want to be friends is a very valuable upside; I'm sure they are feeling the same way! That does ease the pain, somewhat.

ChiTown Girl said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you were able to spend some time with your family, even if it was due to sad circumstances.

jwg said...

Sorry for your loss. It's ironic that some of the best family reunions take place at funerals. By the way, my home town is spelled Nyack. That view is what makes all the hills worthwhile.

Anonymous said...

Sorry your Aunt passed. Alzheimer's is a god awful disease. She is in a better place watching over you!
That view is worth checking out again!

Schoolgal said...

So sorry for your loss.