Thursday, July 07, 2011

Not Dangerous In The Least


I've always told my children and my students to be careful about meeting people from the Internet.  Although I haven't always followed my own advice, I usually brought my husband along so I wouldn't be alone when I met bloggers from distant cities, like Rick and Ricochet.

Today I threw caution to the wind and set out to meet Ms. Cookie, a math teacher and a fellow blogger visiting NY from Texas.  Luckily, Ms. Cookie was everything she claimed to be and the only danger presented was that of sore legs from the long walk we  took, starting at 87th and Broadway, through Riverside Park, to the brand new Yotel, High Line Park, pizza at Ray's, Madison Square Park and then back up town.  Many of these places were new to both of us.  (More pictures posted here.)

It was a wonderful day.  The kids in Texas are lucky to have such a great, caring teacher and I'm happy to have made a new friend.

In the future, I hope to keep up this reckless behavior and meet more of my Internet friends.

7 comments:

Mrs. Chili said...

I have only had one bad experience in meeting someone from the internet, and that was only because that person turned out to be a fundamentalist conservative who snapped after Obama was elected - before that, he was a pretty decent guy. Everyone else I've met online, and I mean everyone, has been exactly who they represented themselves to be, and it's been wonderful.

One of the best compliments I ever got was when I met Michael in real life. We were sitting across from each other over Bertucci's pizza, and he looked at me and said, "You know, you're exactly what I expected. You write like you talk, and I feel like we've been friends for years." That's because we HAD been friends for years, just friends who'd never heard each other's voices.

ChiTown Girl said...

Ok, so when are you coming to Chicago?!?

Pissedoffteacher said...

ChiTown Girl--you are on the top of the list of people I want to meet and hang out with.

Anonymous said...

I have already met some bloggers in the NYC area already and it is great to actually meet people by face. However, the only difference is that I met people at particular New York education/activist public venues.

Shireen Dadmehr said...

Oy! I just looked at your pictures from NYC. I love your perspective on the various structures and sculptures and flowers. Favorites: (by row,column)....
(1,3)
(2,2)
(4,4)
(6,2)

Pissedoffteacher said...

Only a math teacher would be giving coordinates. I love it. Thanks for your comments.

Anonymous said...

I figure if you have a geeky on-line running discussion about teaching math, then you probably don't present much of a threat.

I met another Texas math blogger last summer - had a blast!

Good for you.

Jonathan