Sunday, January 16, 2011

Family


Sometimes we let bad feelings from the past get in the way of what really is important, at least I do.  Fortunately, at least this time, I was smart enough to look aside and sieze the moment to get back what really matters, family.

After too many years, I traveled to Houston to see my wonderful brother-in-law before he died only to return three weeks later for his funeral.  While it was sad beyond belief, it gave me the opportunity to reconnect with my Texas family.  I vowed I would return and the next trip would not be a sad one.

The next opportunity came when my niece invited me to her man's birthday party.  I would have loved to go, but we already had a house rented in Vermont so that was out of the question.  While in Aruba, I got an invitation to her daughter's 8th birthday party.  Everyone who knows me knows I am not a child lover and will always avoid any place with boisterous children having fun, but I decided to look for a cheap ticket and make the trip anyway.  (I got a free ticket using mileage from a Delta credit card I opened last year--no fees and I just had to use it once for 30,000 miles.)

The party was just as loud as I expected but I loved every second of it, especially the reaction of the birthday girl when she opened the door and saw me, her surprise present, standing there.  I got to share in the warmth and love of a wonderful family, a family lost to me for too long.

The trip is hectic.  After a day at work I had a 9:00 flight got me here at midnight and I am leaving midday Monday so I won't miss any time at school, but it is worth it.  I can always sleep when I am dead.

7 comments:

kherbert said...

Sorry you are having such yicky weather on your visit. Jan and Feb are our rainy season.

Pissedoffteacher said...

This is better weather than the last two trips. In December, Houston had snow which closed the airport and we got in at 2AM and in January, it was a real cold streak, colder than NY. The rain is fine, at least it is not snow.

Anonymous said...

These are the wonderful cherished moments that will you remember forever. I am sure the look on your niece's face will be 'etched' in your memory from this day on.

Anonymous said...

and at least its not July/August when its hot.
A friend of mine went to Austin to visit family 2 summers ago, and said it was BRUTAL.

ChiTown Girl said...

So glad you were able to make the trip. Enjoy the hell out of it!!

dkuroiwa said...

oh, to be able to drop in on family for the weekend. my kingdom for that. (^-^)
i'm glad you went...there are certain moments in our lives that may not seem to important, but...in the mind and heart of an 8-year-old? big stuff there!
have a great time surrounded by your family.
sleep schmeep. who needs it?!
(^-^)

Sonja said...

What a wonderful memory/gift you were able to give to your grand-niece. And to yourself. :D