Friday, January 28, 2011

Be Specific

Ms. Sweetie wanted to give Jimmy a zero on the exam because he was talking and she told the class she would give zeroes to anyone who talked.  Being new, Ms. Sweetie decided to ask her AP for approval.

AP:  Did you tell Jimmy you would give him a zero if he talked?

Ms. Sweetie:  I told the whole class.

AP: But, did you specifically tell Jimmy?  Did you use his name?

Ms. Sweetie:  No, I told the entire class several times.

AP:  That is not good enough.  Jimmy's mother will claim he did not hear you.  You cannot give him the zero.

2 comments:

TheHouse said...

So when I give a directive in class, I have to look at each student individually and use their individual names to ensure they understand what I'm saying?

Whoo...I'm going to get through a lot less material in the coming months.

Anonymous said...

This is all making me want to rethink being in education and go into a career where I can work for myself.