Monday, January 10, 2011

Call Me Pisher



I take into account extenuating circumstances and effort when I make up grades and then pray they coincide with regents performance.  I am usually right.   I know a certain individual who does not agree with me.  That person can call me Pisher because I am going to keep on doing what I think is best and right for my students.

(You might have to be Jewish to actually understand this post.)


pisher (pēs̸hər)
noun
  1. a young, inexperienced, presumptuous person
  2. a person or thing of no importance; a nobody or nothing
Origin: Yiddish



pisher

Yiddish word to describe someone who is arrogant, spoiled, and conceited, and thinks he is a big deal. Literally means an adult who is still in wet diapers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, completely get it....I am just 'kvelling' at this post.

Anonymous said...

I think it's derogatory to call you that. But this shiska is also proud of you.

Pissedoffteacher said...

No one is really calling me pisher. It is just an expression.

Ms. Tsouris said...

Just don't call me late for dinner.

Anonymous said...

As I learned from my grandparents and 1 of my favorites, this common Yiddish saying,

"Gai kakhen afenyam"


(I was muttering this phrase under my breath a lot last year).


http://www.sbjf.org/sbjco/schmaltz/yiddish_phrases.htm

Anonymous said...

I heard it from a manager at the liquor store I worked at. It seemed to mean, "So, what." Or, "Who cares what you think." "He didn't like the way I did that. So, call me pisher."