Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Not An Option

Due to health issues, the math teacher most of my algebra students had last year left before the semester was over.  A full time replacement was never hired and the kids lost out big time. 

While many of these kids are not exactly stellar students, they know they were cheated out of their education last year and harbor resentment towards the teacher they feel deserted them.  Even the boy who takes credit for causing her to leave resents her and blames her for the loss of his education last year.  (Her leaving had to do with the way administration handled the problem and had nothing to do with the boy.)

I sometimes think about leaving too.  I know all I have to do is fill out some paper work at TRS and I can be gone in a heartbeat but then I think about these kids.  Being deserted by two teachers two years in a row will not have a positive effect on their education and, more importantly, their self-esteem and their future values. I can’t leave when they have a regents to pass in June.  

I just got an e-mail from one, asking about the midwinter review I posted online so they can have some practice this week and I have a bunch coming in on Friday for extra practice.  I won't let these kids down, no matter how crazy they drive me or how upset anything else gets me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am an avid reader of your blog and can sympathize regularly but I have to say this post pushed me over the line. "Even the boy who takes credit for causing her to leave resents her and blames her ..." are you serious? I am sure Loughner is resentful for being incarcerated ...

I know the situation is extremely difficult but at some point the continual rolling over and taking it needs to stop. Have things deteriorated to such a degree that teachers feel they must put up with this degree of abuse? I would bet that even given the current situation the UAW might consider a strike if they had working conditions as described in your posts!

Pissedoffteacher said...

You are right but the boy who claims he pushed her is not a bad kid and just likes to hear himself talk. It took a lot of work, but he is one of my top students now.

Pissedoffteacher said...

I added an important piece to the post. She did not leave because of the boy. Sorry to mislead. I ocvered that class. It was a little rough, but not so awful it should have caused anyone to leave.

ChiTown Girl said...

You, my dear, are a class act.

TheHouse said...

I also feel obligated to see my students through. I haven't been doing this nearly as long as you have, but I have a connection with them and I feel it's my responsibility to show up and consistently inform them.

Unfortunately, that's all the consistency some of them get.

Anonymous said...

You are someone who always puts "Children First". But I have to wonder what would have happened if you decided not to do your reviews this year? Would Hula order AP to fly through hoops to make your life pleasant rather than lose your valuable free service?

Pissedoffteacher said...

No administrator ever cares about a teacher. If any of us left tomorrow, we would only be missed until a new body was put place. Our very existence would be denied. Teachers are nothing to them, and I am no exception. I do what I do because I care about the kids and their success and thanks are all I need and all I have ever gotten or will get.

Expect nothing from administration and you won't ever be disappointed.

M. Bright said...

I had to leave my first teaching job prematurely as my mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual health were suffering tremendously. I was headed to the hospital again, and had I not resigned the day I did, I would have collapsed again and probably never recovered enough to work any job ever again.

I'm disappointed because I loved the kids, but I do not view it as having given up on them. In fact I gave them my all and my everything to the point I needed to be hospitalized.


I made the right decision. Sometimes it's not possible to continue to sacrifice your health and life for your students when the stress is about to break up your marriage, and is wreaking havoc in every other area of your life.

I read your blog frequently and thought you would really understand that and empathize with teachers who have had to put themselves first for once, and get out of a bad situation.

Pissedoffteacher said...

I said the kids blamed her and felt deserted, I don't. I said a replacement was never hired and that certainly puts the blame somewhere else. And, I also said if it had been handled differently by admin, she might not have left. I am sorry you misinterpreted or I did not make myself clear.